NOTES ON ENTERTAINMENT, CULTURE AND MORE FROM KOREA (OR WHEREVER)

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

D-War on the Rise

Showbox is reporting that Shim Hyung-rae's silly monster movie just broke the 6-million-admissions level. In fact, by the time I type this (5:10 on Tuesday), it has probably topped 6.1 million, to make it the 10th-biggest Korean film ever. That is enough to knock MY BOSS MY TEACHER out of the top 10 altogether, which brings me no end of happiness. SHIRI will doubtlessly fall tomorrow.

I was feeling somewhat ambivalent about D-WAR (it is pretty dumb and bad, but marginally tolerable for a children's movie), but reading Shim's latest is rapidly making me downgrade my already low opinion.
"If this movie had been made by James Cameron, it would have turned the whole world upside down."
Uh, no. Feel free to read the VARIETY review for a good sense of the movie. (I do not mind linking to the competition because they just linked to my blog the other day).

No comments: