NOTES ON ENTERTAINMENT, CULTURE AND MORE FROM KOREA (OR WHEREVER)

Saturday, July 19, 2008

If It's Raining, It Must Be PiFan

This year's Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival (PiFan) kicked off last night. So naturally it is raining now. Taking place during Korea's rainy season, PiFan is usually a pretty wet festival. Not that I mind -- anything to keep temperatures down makes me happy.

PiFan opened with the animated film WALTZ WITH BASHIR, which I quite liked, despite the depressing subject matter (about the war in Lebanon in the 1980s). In fact, I think it was the best opening film I can recall at PiFan.

Was 28 DAYS LATER an opening film? That is the only thing close I can think of.

I am going to be too busy this year to spend a lot of time at PiFan (unlike last year, when I was here the whole time). But I am looking forward to seeing a few movies at least -- especially the hwalgeuk films, international coproduction action films from the 1960s and 1970s.

The other fun thing I am looking forward to is some of the live concerts. Tonight there will be Kingston Rudieska and Windy City. Sunday is Crying Nut. But the most interesting show is defintely on Monday, as Sato Yukie and his Korea classic rock tribute band Gopchangjeongol will be playing.

More later. Maybe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're one lucky dude! Schleps like us will have to wait an eternity and a day to see half the films you'll see over the next 10+ days. It would be immensely appreciated if you can provide capsule reviews - and a rating - of all the films you've seen once the festival is over. This way, we'll know what films are worth anticipating. All the reviews I read for Waltz with Bashir since it premiered at Cannes have been very positive.

Enjoy the rest of the fest.