NOTES ON ENTERTAINMENT, CULTURE AND MORE FROM KOREA (OR WHEREVER)

Friday, February 15, 2008

Korea Gig Guide Makes Its Debut

Okay, so it looks like I am ready to go public with one of those projects that I have been talking about for the past couple of weeks. It is the KOREA GIG GUIDE, and it is a small attempt at getting out more information about the Korean live music scene.

The idea is simple enough -- I think there is a lot of good live music around Korea these days, but can be surprisingly hard to find. Even for Koreans -- most live venues have terrible websites and publicity. And despite the overabundance of movie magazines, there is much less out there about music.

I am hoping that by making it easier to learn about the gigs and who the best bands are that more people might be able to go and enjoy them. And, if I am really dreaming, maybe better turnout might encourage those bands and lead to more.

It is still early, and I am not entirely sure how this thing is going to unfold. For the moment, though, I intend on listing as many live shows as I can find on the KGG's Concert Calendar.

I am thinking of doing more, too. I might blog about music, too (and may or may not cross-post here). I might add a wiki or some sort of database like that.

Of course, a lot depends on the feedback I get from others. If there is a good gig coming and you want people to know about it, send me an email and I will try to add it. If there is demand, I could add concerts happening in other parts of Korea (and maps or whatever). I do like to make a concert guide as useful as possible to as many people as possible.

So, please drop by, take a look. Feel free to give me feedback, positive or negative.

(PS: Obviously, I am cribbing much of this idea from the Tokyo Gig Guide. Long been a favorite of mine... even if every time I go to Japan, it seems to be two days after some band I love has played there).

No comments: